LESSON 4. LAND OF THE LONG WHITE CLOUD
1. Ex. 1a, b p. 323 – close your eyes and listen to the song, partly in English, partly in another language. Imagine the place. What else can you picture in your mind? Can you think of a real place on Earth Aonua’s song might be about?
2. What do the words mean? How are they connected with New Zealand?
Wellington, Aotearoa, Maori, Pakeha, Kiwi, Tasman, Cook, William IV, canoe, tattoo
3. Ex. 2b p. 323 – listen to the radio programme about New Zealand and check your predictions about the words mentioned above. While listening, take notes to remember as many other details as you can.
4. Answer the questions about New Zealand with your friend.
Questions on geography
Questions on history
Questions on culture
5. Listen to the radio programme about New Zealand again and answer more questions
6. Watch the video about New Zealand. What do you have to do & see once you arrive? When is it best to travel there? Which food & drinks do you definitely need to enjoy throughout your journey?
7. Imagine you’re to write a song about New Zealand. What instruments and sounds could you use to make your listeners feel fully what the country is like? Describe your song about New Zealand.