From Social Media
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE A MODEL?
Attractive smiles, shiny hair and incredibly impressive looks – how can models be that beautiful? The true story that lies behind modelling was told by one of Victoria Secret’s celebrities – Cameron Russel.
In the video Cameron reveals some of the secrets and speaks about important problems of our society.
Watch the video and decide if the statements are true or false:
True or False:
- Cameron has been a model for 10 years.
- She brought an outfit change.
- Her heels are very comfortable.
- She totally transformed what people thought of her in six seconds.
- She is on that stage because she doesn’t want to be a model but she is a pretty, white woman and she has to.
- She was scouted to be a model.
- For the past few centuries people have defined beauty not just as health and youth and symmetry that we’re biologically programmed to admire, but also as tall, slender figures, and femininity and coloured skin.
- In 2007, a very inspired NYU Ph.D. student counted all the models on the runway, every single one that was hired, and of the 677 models that were hired, only 27, or less than four percent, were non-white.
- Cameron thinks that saying that you want to be a model when you grow up is akin to saying that you want to win the Powerball when you grow up.
- Professional photographers make 3 or 4 shoots to get a perfect photo.
- Retouching all the photos is the main component of what’s happening on a fashion photo session.
- Cameron always looks like a fashion model in her life.
- When she was researching this talk, she found out that of the 13-year-old girls in the United States, 53% don’t like their bodies, and that number goes to 78% by the time that they’re 17.
- Cameron is always confident because she doesn’t have to think about what she looks like every day.
- It was difficult for Cameron to unpack a legacy of gender and racial oppression when she is one of the biggest beneficiaries.
To see the correct answers select the next line:
True – 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 13, 15; False – 3, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 14.
*One more opinion about fashion as a career can be found here: